January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 29 18:07

Re: [vox-tech] quick, stupid bash question

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 02:40:25PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> but the actual answer is completely unacceptable.

  You didn't ask for 4 characters or less... ;)

> i can't believe that this is so complicated under bash!

  Be glad it is at least it is possible in bash, if you wanted it.
Unless things have changed that is not even possible in the c shell
variants (*).

  What you are asking for is a very complicated (2) operation...

    Later,
      Mike

*:
  I welcome any csh people to correct me if I'm wrong, without using
temporary files, the '-o' option to strace, or fancy /dev or /proc
entries... filter through grep the stderr of strace while leaving
stdout intact.

2:
  Even if you implemented in C you would be making like 13 system calls
(1 pipe, 2 fork, 2 exec, 5 dup2, 3 close)