2002 May 28 23:52

Re: [vox-tech] truetype fonts under gnome

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:11:36PM -0700, nbs wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:03:45PM -0700, nbs wrote:
> > On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 07:38:21PM -0400, msimons@moria.simons-clan.com wrote:
> > > xfstt               - Handles the Garton font perfectly.
> > >                       (Gimp was tested, and works)

> Hmm.. Although xfstt seems to spawn a second time, and the whole X session
> seems pretty laggy, and sometimes vanishes. :^/

  I'm interested in the delay problem you are having... if you are _not_
restarting the xfstt process you shouldn't have problems.

-  What things are you doing when you notice lag or the session vanishing?

  (from what I recall X doesn't handle the disappearance of it's font
server very well, but in some testing today it appears to have gotten
loads better, in that it used to lock solid when the font server goes
away).

> root      2208  0.0  1.2  1972  800 ?        S    23:08   0:00 /usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt --port 7101 --daemon --user nobody
> nobody    2378  0.0  1.3  6588  832 ?        S    23:10   0:00 /usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt --port 7101 --daemon --user nobody

  My guess is xfstt plays much like apache (there is one master parent
who runs as root, which forks a client process which switches to a
dummy user to actually do the work for client connections).  So the
two processes is normal.