January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 21 19:32

[vox-tech] Re: vim questions for C programmers

[vox-tech] Re: vim questions for C programmers

begin p <p>

> 1. [d and ]d displays macro definitions at the bottom of the screen
> rather than making the cursor jump to a section of code.
>
> is there a corresponding command for variable definitions?i know that
> gd and gD will make the cursor jump to the variable definition, but
> sometimes i don't want to jump to the code.  sometimes i just want to
> see the variable type or an initial value.  it would be nice to have a
> command that simply prints (at the bottom of the screen) the variable
> definition and its initial value.  does such a command exist?

yes -- ]i and [i will list the variable definition rather than jump to
the definition.

> 2. suppose i type gD and the cursor jumps to where the variable is
> defined.  is there a way to jump back to where the cursor was before i
> typed "gD"?
>
> kind of like how ^t jumps back to where you started when you do a ^]
> with ctags.

yes again -- ` is the marker for the last position of the cursor, so ``
will jump to this position.

another way to do it:

i forgot about vim's jump list.  ^o will jump to the previous line in
the jump list, so if you go to a different place in the code with
gD, gd, [^d or ]^d, then ^o will take you back to the original position.

pete