2002 May 06 14:38

Re: [vox-tech] postscript printer problem

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:16:35PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2002, Henry House wrote:
>
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Okay, you asked for it... :)
>
> If you were to send ASCII text (not postscript), does it intermittantly
> lose data, also?

I don't know but I will observe.

> Does it happen only before the first print job after a reboot, at the
> beginning of a random job, or randomly in the middle of any job?

It only seems to happen after the printer has just been turned on, or after
it has been on but idle for a while. I cannot recall it happening in the
middle of any job.

The Linux box that uses the printer has been up for months. But the lp
drivers are modules; perhaps that has something do do with it? I tried to
rmmod lp and rmmod segfaulted. It refuses to unload parport_pc (device or
resource busy). Here is the output of lsmod:

	nls_iso8859-1           2880   0  (autoclean)
	isofs                  17376   0  (autoclean)
	loop                    8624   0  (autoclean)
	ide-probe-mod           7728   0  (autoclean)
	ide-mod                63528   0  (autoclean) [ide-probe-mod]
	soundcore               3908   0  (autoclean)
	appletalk              22828   0  (autoclean)
	nls_cp437               4384   0  (autoclean)
	vfat                    9372   0  (autoclean)
	fat                    30008   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
	floppy                 45952   0  (autoclean)
	nfsd                   65600  32  (autoclean)
	lockd                  47168   1  (autoclean) [nfsd]
	sunrpc                 63764   1  (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]
	parport_pc             25320   1  (autoclean)
	lp                         0   0  (deleted)
	parport                25888   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
	af_packet               9288   1  (autoclean)
	serial                 45504   1  (autoclean)
	unix                   15620 122  (autoclean)

Disturbing.

> Are there any other programs using the LPT port, such as drivers or other
> print-queueing programs or zip drive, etc?

No other hardware, driver, or daemon uses /dev/lp0.

--
Henry House