2002 May 06 08:58

Re: [vox-tech] bash question

I think you can analyze the content of the $DISPLAY variable.  As I
recall, the forwarding was set so that the display is set to :10 or
above... or something like that (that was using the ssh from ssh.com, not
openssh, though).  I'm not in front of a Linux box so I can't check it at
the moment...

-Mark

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi matt,
>
> unfortunately i use X forwarding alot.  i would think this situation is
> very common.  i'm surprised the answer is so elusive!
>
> also, i think this solution will cause a non-fatal (but annoying)
> message whenever i use scp (which i use 10, 20 times a day).
>
> pete
>

> begin Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com>
> > If you aren't using X forwarding (i.e. ssh -X), I think you could check
> > to see if $DISPLAY is set...
> >
> >     if [ "${DISPLAY}" != "" ]; then
> >        shopt -s checkwinsize
> >        xmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock"
> >     fi
> >

> > Matt
> >

> > On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 07:55:42AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > i have an xmodmap that i'd like to be run when the shell is a
> > > non-login shell under local X.
> > >
> > > i thought it would be something like:
> > >
> > >    if [ "${TERM}" == "xterm" ]; then
> > >       shopt -s checkwinsize
> > >       xmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock"
> > >    fi
> > >
> > > but this suffers from ${TERM} being "xterm" when i ssh in from another
> > > machine running X.
> > >
> > > how can i test for "if this shell is being run from X server running on
> > > THIS machine"?

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.