2002 May 06 07:03

Re: [vox-tech] mandrake question

Mandrake installation does partitioning very well, graphical and
everything.  I don't know if it works like fips (requires scandisk before
running it) or not, but it *seems* to not require scandisk beforehand.
It handles all FAT-type partitions including VFAT.  I don't think I had to
deal with NTFS so I couldn't tell you whether it works with NTFS or not...

You should still explain to him/her a little about partitioning to ease
his/her confusion (why it's necessary, what it is, ideal sizes, how
journaling file systems like ext3 is better, writing down /dev/hdX or
/dev/sdX values for later references, how repartitioning is a horribly
difficult and inefficient process so one should do it right the first
time but expect to make some mistakes the first couple times, etc.)

-Mark

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi all,
>
> does mandrake and/or redhat come with an integrated partition
> splitter/resizer?
>
> please don't tell me about what partition splitting options there are
> out there.  i'm just asking if mandrake and redhat have a tool
> integrated into their installation system that allows a person using
> full-disk windows to split their disk into 2 partitions and install
> linux.   ideally, something that would be easy to use to someone who
> didn't even know what a partition was.
>
> if the answer is yes, does said integrated tool handle NTFS and/or dos?
>
> i'm asking for a friend who is going to try out linux.  i recommended
> mandrake, and wanted to tell him what to expect during the install.  if
> there exists no such tool, i'll redirect him to fips which has always
> treated me vedy vedy well.
>
> thanks!
>
> pete

Mark K. Kim