2002 Apr 30 23:18

Re: [vox-tech] Newbie needs help w/ redhat install

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Thomas Burton wrote:
> I attended the alice mtg last month and found religion.  But I am a newbie
>who is trying to install redhat  (I know, I can rely on the next
>installfest, but attepting to do on my own) on a 486 box a friend
>bequeathed me. So I am going w/ the distro supplied w/ the "learning
>redhat linux" by oreilly. Dont know the version but when installing sez
>2.0; is this the kernal or the version? I couldnt say.

First, I second the motion to get a newer version of Red Hat.  The current
kernel is in the 2.4 range; 2.0.x kernels are REALLY old.  (Red Hat
2.0 would be even older--they were up to 5.1 when I started with Linux
three or four years ago.)  Your options are thus (in no particular order):
1. Download the latest version from www.redhat.com .
2. Wait 'til next IF.
3. Check out a copy from the library (www.lugod.org/library/distros).  The
page looks a little outdated, though.  Maybe you could e-mail Henry
(librarian@lugod.org) and ask him what we've got.

Second, if you feel like going through the whole install process again,
wait until it's JUST aborted, then hit Ctrl-Alt-F2.  This will bring up a
different virtual terminal.  Hopefully, it's the one where the install
process prints out the logs of what it's encountering.  What's the last
message before the install aborts?

Hope this helps... good luck!

--nicole twn

***
"I vote to protect the environment!"--bumper sticker seen on SUV