2002 Apr 26 16:16

Re: [vox-tech] How to recompile kernel

On Friday 26 April 2002 11:58 am, you wrote:
> I have Red Hat 7.2 on a server.  When I installed Red Hat I said no to the
> firewall option.  Now that the box is up and running I am trying to install
> ipchains.  However the kernel is not compiled for ipchains.  How do I
> recompile the kernel and add ipchains without reloading the box?

i doubt you need to recompile the kernel.  if you are using a
non-enterprise/server edition of RH, ipchains is compiled as a kernel
module.  i really can't remember the last time i needed to re-compile
a RH kernel to get a non-esoteric piece of functionality working.

three things come to mind:
1) read the ipchains HOWTO.
2) edit /etc/sysconfig/ipchains to your liking.  this will be time-consuming,
  so i suggest you look hard for sample firewall configurations to get you
  jump-started.
3) "chkconfig --add ipchains" will add ipchains to the start-up sequence.
  w/o rebooting, you can use "service ipchains start" to start it, and it
  will take care of loading the kernel module and starting ipchains w/the
  rules you configured.

shawn.