2002 Apr 26 12:52

Re: [vox-tech] How to recompile kernel

jay,

first of all, if you have your heart set on learning (which is a Very
Good Thing[TM]), get one of those huge books on linux.  they all have
sections on kernel compiling.  that's where i learned from.

btw, way back when i was a newbie, my kernel compiled ONLY when i had a
picture of linus torvalds taped to my monitor.  when i took the picture
off, i lost the ability to compile the kernel.  i'm not joking here.
this is the honest truth.  you may want to consider taping a picture of
linus on your own monitor before proceding.

also, please read the kernel howto.  there's extensive instructions on
how to compile the kernel.  well written and complete.

ok, now about your problem at hand.  as i said, there's prolly no need
to compile the kernel here.  that's what modules are for.

i'm a little behind the times in terms of netfilter (i will be until
they decide to kill the ipchains compatibility), but try this:

first get module dependencies in order by doing:

depmod -a

as root.  then install the ipchains module:

modprobe -a ipchains

i **think** ipchains.o on a 2.4 kernel is compatibility layer.  don't
quote me on this.  if so, you may want to try:

modprobe -a netfilter
modprobe -a ipchains

and if the system complains about not finding the modules, you can go
into /lib/modules/kernelversion/net/whatever and use insmod to load in
the proper modules.

hth,
pete

begin Ehrhart, Jay <ehrhart@ycoe.org>