2002 Apr 23 17:21

Re: [vox-tech] CMOS problems, dead battery?

Re: [vox-tech] CMOS problems, dead battery?

I'm going to see if changing the battery helps when I get around to it.

I was wondering if there was anuything else that could be causing a problem,
as the battery is less then a year old.

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 04:30 pm, ME wrote:
> Static discharge/short in mb (temporary or on-going)
>
> BIOS/CMOS EEPROM receives bad signal.
>
> Uncommon, but possible on some systems: nvram/BIOS access from OS altered
>  things. There are viruses that can target data stored in nvram and make
> some machines unbootable, but that are rather uncommon.
>
> Non-power supply related:
> Someone set a jumper on the mb imporperly

Perhaps, but most motherboards refuse to boot if the CMOS clear jumper is
set, and that's about the only jumper on the board (everything else is in the
bios)

> After successive heating and cooling "chip rising" (not so much a problem
>  on modern machines - mostly with older DIP chip based boards with bios in
>  sockets instead of integrated.)

I dislike intergarted BIOS, makes things much more expensive if you botch a
flash. (this happened with my laptop, costing me $150 for a new motherboard
instead of $15 for an new BIOS chip)

The one on the affected system IS socketed, and is fairly new. I thought most
desktops were like that.

> Bad contact / intermittant contact with chips used for BIOS
> Dead battery or battery getting close to being dead (mentioned by you
>  earlier, but still most common.)

How long should a battery last?