2002 Apr 23 19:07

Re: [vox-tech] Not able to log into root.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 11:58:33AM -0700, Rusty Minden wrote:
> Dohh! Yes I do I flubbed when doing a search using vim sorry. Still can't use
> su to log into root.

You'll probably need to boot into single user mode (err.. if you CAN
with a botched /etc/passwd), or (more likely) use a rescue disk.

BTW - use "vipw", not "vim"...  It will, as the man page says,
"set the appropriate locks to prevent file corruption."  I seem to
recall it also complaining and not saving/quitting if the file got
botched up.  (eg, it syntax checks it before committing to disk)

I could be wrong about that last part, unfortunately... :)
In that case, I guess VIM is good enough.  Just be CAREFUL! ;)