2002 Apr 22 18:01

Re: [vox-tech] RH keeps crashing

At 02:52 PM 4/22/02 -0700, you wrote:
>begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> >
> > Thanks for the tip.  I'll remember that.  As it is, I'm unable to ping,
> > browse to, ssh to, tel-net to, telepathically link to, or otherwise
> > communicate with the machine.  I'll try smoke signals next.
>
>this is a good indication that the kernel is truly dead.  smoked.  it's
>almost 100% certain to be a hardware problem of some sort.

Bugger.

>the most important question now is -- what recently changed?  did you
>install any new packages?  any new hardware?  change bios?

Hrmmm....  The only thing I can think of are some RH7.2 packages that I
installed through Red Carpet the other night.

> > I have had to reinstall X on this machine before, so I have wondered
> > about its stability.  I think the issue is probably deeper than that
> > at the moment, but I'll try ctrl+alt+backspace this evening at home.
>
>what kind of video card?  what version of X?  (X -version).

GeForce 2, I believe.  I'll check on X when I get home, but I believe it's
a pretty recent version.

>is your system overclocked?   who built it?

I don't think that's an issue... my brother-in-law actually built the
computer for me (he and my wife worked on it together -- it was my wife's
wedding present to me), and he's not a big fan of overclocking, as far as I
know.  But I'll ask him.