2002 Apr 22 02:07

Re: [vox-tech] tabula rosa

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Jim wrote:
> EZ-BIOS:  Initializing... EZ-BIOS:  Hold the CNTL key down for Status
> Screen or to boot from floppy... EZ-BIOS:  Continuing startup...

Software used to allow older machines with problems with BIOS detection /
use of hard disks with too many cyls to be identified.

Software store in the Master Boot Record - A Kind of space before the
volumes available before format on the Hard Disk.)

(Say you machine can only recognize 1024cyls, this EZ-BIOS software
converts other disk geometery such that the max number of cyls is not
exceeded.)

If you wish to eliminate this software and ref to lilo/grub and you are
going the MS route, then boot up a DOS floppy disk and run FDISK /MBR
from that floppy disk. (Assuming your HD is completely blank anyway anod
nothing is of value on it.)

This can also be done from lilo, but since you said you have formatted,
the dos route may be faster.

-ME