2002 Apr 19 17:47

Re: [vox-tech] LaTeX, DVI, PDF, LaTeX, fonts - HELP!

Re: [vox-tech] LaTeX, DVI, PDF, LaTeX, fonts - HELP!

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 04:51:02PM -0700, Shawn P. Neugebauer wrote:
<snip>

> A few things:
> * If the generated PDF file is not using Times, it should be obvious looking
>   at the PDF in Acrobat.  One can tell the difference between a doc w/CM
>   fonts and a doc w/Times.  What does a visual inspection reveal?

I can ask people to ask the people with the systems with problems
to do this.  Thanks. :)

> * More useful, Acrobat will tell you precisely what fonts are used.  Go to
>   File/Document Info/Fonts  Have your end-user try this on their machine.
>   Compare.

Ditto.

> * I don't see the HP-850S.

Sorry...  By HP-850s, I mean more than one HP-850.  (eg, plural, not 's' ;) )

>   I see the HP DeskJet 850C, and this could be
>   a problem since it's not PostScript.

Hmmmmm....

>   What, exactly, is the printer that's
>   having a problem?  The problem could be the result of driver issues
>   (not that you could fix them, but at least you would have something
>   to blame).

The HP-850 printers ( ;^) ) are the ones printing sans serif, when
the rest of the printers all print times fine.

They also have a slightly tweaked top/bottom margin, I asusme because
of the way the paper feeds.

eg, in LaTeX, I'm saying, "I want the top & bottom margins here & here,"
but when I hold two printouts up to each other, the HP ones are printed
'higher.'  VERY annoying when trying to fit an address & postnet code
in an envelope window. >:^( >:^(

> * In Acrobat on Windoze, there's a *very* useful option "print as image"
>   that shows up in the print dialog box.  It can be a little slow but it will
>   print anything that Acrobat can display.  Sadly, this option is missing in
>   the Linux version.  Have your end-user try this.  Might save everyone
>   a load of time.

Thanks much!  I'll let you know what happens.