2002 Apr 19 17:10

Re: [vox-tech] LaTeX, DVI, PDF, LaTeX, fonts - HELP!

On Friday 19 April 2002 04:18 pm, you wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 03:34:27PM -0700, Shawn P. Neugebauer wrote:
> > If you're not doing anything to specifically control fonts, the default
> > is Computer Modern (the distinct look behind most TeX documents)
> > for the 3 font families of roman, san serif, and typewriter.  The CM
> > fonts are not PostScript fonts.
> >
> > I'm no expert, but the following simple fix will probably go a long way.
> > Insert \usepackage{times} in the preamble of your document.  It
> > will make Times, Helvetica, and Courier the roman, san serif, and
> > typewriter font family, respectively.  These are PostScript fonts and
> > the resulting output files should be much more compatible with PS
> > printers.
>
> Thanks.  Unfortunately, \usepackage{times} is already in there. <:^(

I'm surprised.  This has made the difference for me in the past.

> It could be that the font isn't installed on the server generating the PDF,
> and it's just sheer luck that some of the documents have been printed
> with the serif font.

A few things:
* If the generated PDF file is not using Times, it should be obvious looking
  at the PDF in Acrobat.  One can tell the difference between a doc w/CM
  fonts and a doc w/Times.  What does a visual inspection reveal?
* More useful, Acrobat will tell you precisely what fonts are used.  Go to
  File/Document Info/Fonts  Have your end-user try this on their machine.
  Compare.
* I don't see the HP-850S.  I see the HP DeskJet 850C, and this could be
  a problem since it's not PostScript.  What, exactly, is the printer that's
  having a problem?  The problem could be the result of driver issues
  (not that you could fix them, but at least you would have something
  to blame).
* In Acrobat on Windoze, there's a *very* useful option "print as image"
  that shows up in the print dialog box.  It can be a little slow but it will
  print anything that Acrobat can display.  Sadly, this option is missing in
  the Linux version.  Have your end-user try this.  Might save everyone
  a load of time.

shawn.