2002 Apr 19 16:19

Re: [vox-tech] LaTeX, DVI, PDF, LaTeX, fonts - HELP!

Re: [vox-tech] LaTeX, DVI, PDF, LaTeX, fonts - HELP!

If you're not doing anything to specifically control fonts, the default is
Computer Modern (the distinct look behind most TeX documents)
for the 3 font families of roman, san serif, and typewriter.  The CM fonts
are not PostScript fonts.

I'm no expert, but the following simple fix will probably go a long way.
Insert \usepackage{times} in the preamble of your document.  It
will make Times, Helvetica, and Courier the roman, san serif, and
typewriter font family, respectively.  These are PostScript fonts and
the resulting output files should be much more compatible with PS
printers.

As for math symbols, I'll quote from "Math Into LaTeX" (an excellent
resource for typesetting mathematical documents with LaTeX):
  "Looking at a mathematical article typeset with the Times text font,
   you may find that the Computer Modern math symbols look too thin."
In your case, you may also find that your end-user is not getting the
desired "look."  Insert \usepackage{mathtime} in the preamble,
and you will get the MathTime PS fonts for math symbols; these
are a better match for Times and possibly more compatible with
PS printers (I don't know).  The MathTime fonts are in the
teTeX TeX distribution commonly distributed with Linux systems.

shawn.