January 6: Social gathering
2002 Apr 19 00:43

Re: [vox-tech] more newbie questions

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 01:44:44AM -0700, Joey Karalius wrote:
[...]
> 2) I bought a serial external modem, and I'm shopping for a cable. It
> has the 25-pin connection on the back and I think I want to go with the
> USB to serial cable, since I have a couple empty USB ports.  Is there
> any reason I can't go with that setup?

I take it your serial port is in use? In theory this should work fine, but
rather than search for such a non-standard and proabably costly cable (really
an adapter, since USB and RS232 serial are electrically different), I suggest
you peer inside your machine to see if there are pins for attaching an
additional serial port. Most modern machines have only one physical serial
port, but many system boards do have a controller for a second, which may be
brought into existance by installing a piece of metal containing a molded
serial port and a ribbon cable to plug into the mother board, the entire
device shaped to fit into a PCI slot in the back of the case.

I have a spare nine-pin to 25-pin serial cable in my office that I will
gladly give to yo if you like, if you decide to follow my suggestion.

--
Henry House