January 6: Social gathering
2002 Apr 14 20:24

[vox-tech] spreadsheet question

is it possible to define a circular reference with a spreadsheet?

consider the equation "t = T * tbar"

where "t" is time in SI units and tbar is time in some crazy unit system
which is convenient for my simulation.

sometimes it's nice to know "what number do i need to input for the
simulation to run for 3 seconds".  in other words, tbar = t / T is more
convenient.

othertimes, it's nice to know "if i input 5 time units into the program,
how many real seconds would that represent"?   in other words,
t = T * tbar is more convenient.

i know i can do this as:

         A           B         C              D

0       'T           9E10
1       't           3.0      'tbar           =B1 / B0
2       'tbar        5.0      't              =B2 * B0

what would really be cool is:

        A              B

0      'T             9E10
2      'tbar          ?????

if i entered data in B1, it would put B1/B0 in cell B2.

if i entered data in B2, it would put B2*B0 in cell B1.

this is kind of circular, but definitely has use.  gnumeric is more or
less compatible with excel.   any spreadsheet gurus out there?

what would i fill in for the "?????" ?

pete