2002 Apr 13 07:50

RE: [vox-tech] POP3 email

I'm pleased to say that my IPOPD is now working - I don't know what I
did - but it's working.  Thanks again.

Martyn R. Whittaker
p. +1 530 756 2867  f. +1 253 498 9591  m. +1 916 813 7061

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org
[mailto:vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Newmiller
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 12:27 AM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] POP3 email

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Martyn R Whittaker wrote:

> Thanks for the advice on sending files to my Web server.  That’s
working
> fine.
>
> I am now trying to access email.  Ipopd is running on my server – i.e.
> can send myself email (to martynw@billyfirestudios.com) and when I
type

> telnet localhost pop-3
>
> and log in, it tells me I have messages.  (This also works if, instead
> of typing 'localhost'. I type in the actual fixed IP address of my
> machine, or mail.billyfirestudios.com or www.billyfirestudios.com)
>
> I now want to be able to 'pop' the email from my Web server to my
> Windows client.
>
> In my client mail system (under Outlook) I have tried various pop
> addresses, e.g. mail.billyfirestudios.com, www.billyfirestudios.com,
> 192.168.0.1 and the actual fixed IP address of the machine etc but I
do
> not seem to get a connection.
>
> I am also able to run the telnet command from my Windows client i.e.
> when I type:
>
> telnet mail.billyfirestudios.com 110
>
> using the 'RUN' command, it works fine.

The results of the tests you have performed indicate that the problem is
in Outlook.

I am pretty sure Outlook "sends" mail before it "pop"s it, so be sure
your
smtp server is configured correctly as well as the pop server.

---
Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go
Live...
DCN:<jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live
Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
/Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.
rocks...2k