2002 Apr 13 12:02

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox-tech]Talks, mentoring, etc... was Touble(sic) wi

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox-tech]Talks, mentoring, etc... was Touble(sic) with Printer Set-up (long)

begin Stephen M. Helms <Mytho_X@pacbell.net>
> {snipage}
> > someone please put me out of my misery and do a talk about cups and
> > lprng at lugod!!
> >
> > pete
>
> Maybe we could even have a group mentoring project?  Something like an
> online email class or over irc even.  Where we have a couple of
> experienced (seasoned) people teaching less experienced people.  The
> test could be that the student(s) later give a talk to reinforce what
> they have learned.

i like this idea, but the bottleneck is getting someone to volunteer the
teaching.  organizing the thing and coming up with volunteers would be
the thing that kills this idea.

i think this was the point of the 10-20 minute talk thing i wanted to do
at lugod meetings.  we had a few of them.  maybe we should start to make
them an integral part of the lugod meeting.  i can certainly do this
bill.  it's easier to ask someone to talk for 10 minutes than for 1.5
hours.  :)

i think 10-20 minutes is short enough that the prep time is pretty nill.
10 minutes goes by very quickly when giving a talk.

i can give a 10 minute talk on marks and registers in vi which would be
a nice complement to verbus's presentation.  i can also give a 10 minute
talk on using strace, although mike would be more suited for this.  i
don't know quite as much about strace as mike, but i definitely know
enough for it to be useful for me.  i just used it last night to figure
out where quakeforge was looking for the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files.
strace comes in handy for me about once a week, and is an integral part
of my kung-fu.

pete