2002 Apr 20 17:53

Re: [vox-tech] Touble with Printer Set-up (long)

Re: [vox-tech] Touble with Printer Set-up (long)

a few more words:

replace my 3rd test with:

echo "hello world" > /dev/lp0
echo "^L" > /dev/lp0

the last line should be control-l.  that sends a form feed to the
printer to eject the page.

i'm not sure this should print a page on 100% of all printers.  it will
definitely print on a standard line printer, but i don't know much about
fancy printers.   at the VERY least it should make some of your light
blink momentarily.  that's what we're looking for.

next:

make a small textfile named "testfile" that contains "hello world".
send me the output of:

strace -o LOG lpr testfile

do ***NOT*** send this to the list.  it will be huge.  send the output
directly to p@dirac.org (it would most likely bounce since i configured
the list to bounce really long messages).

after you do this, send me the contents of /etc/printcap.   you can send
this to the list so that other people can take a look.  people like rod
or jeff know WAY more than i do about printcap files.

after you do this, send me the output of "lpq".  you can send this to
the list as well.

also, realize that the best source of information about anything is
google groups.  go to:

this is the best way to do anything under linux, surpassing FAQ's,
guides and howto's.

pete