2002 Apr 12 00:27

[vox-tech] POP3 email

Thanks for the advice on sending files to my Web server.  That’s working
fine.

I am now trying to access email.  Ipopd is running on my server – i.e. I
can send myself email (to martynw@billyfirestudios.com) and when I type

telnet localhost pop-3

and log in, it tells me I have messages.  (This also works if, instead
of typing 'localhost'. I type in the actual fixed IP address of my
machine, or mail.billyfirestudios.com or www.billyfirestudios.com)

I now want to be able to 'pop' the email from my Web server to my
Windows client.

In my client mail system (under Outlook) I have tried various pop
addresses, e.g. mail.billyfirestudios.com, www.billyfirestudios.com,
192.168.0.1 and the actual fixed IP address of the machine etc but I do
not seem to get a connection.

I am also able to run the telnet command from my Windows client i.e.
when I type:

telnet mail.billyfirestudios.com 110

using the 'RUN' command, it works fine.

I feel I must be close but missing something obvious.  Any advice would
be gratefully received.

Regards

Martyn

Martyn R. Whittaker
p. +1 530 756 2867  f. +1 253 498 9591  m. +1 916 813 7061