January 6: Social gathering
2002 Apr 09 14:19

Re: [vox-tech] modifying mouse selection behavior under X

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:28:33PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> is there a way to modify the selection behavior of the mouse under X?

It depends on the terminal.  It'd be nice if it were some shared,
system-wide preference (it probably is under KDE, knowing them :) )

I'm not in front of KDE right now, but under Gnome-Terminal, in the
'Preferences' window, you can adjust the
"Select-by-word characters" setting.  From the help:

(Note, I had to type this by hand, because the fscking Gnome Help Browser
doesn't let me highlight text to paste.  Argh!)

  Select-by-word characters

    Defines a list of characters (or /character classes/) that should be
    considered 'word characters'.  These are used when _selecting_text_ by
    word.

With "_selecting_text_" a link to a section of the 'Pointer Usage' help
page within Gnome's Help system.

I can't find anything under xterm like this.
There may be an X resource for it.
(I don't seem to have a man page for xterm!  Bizarre!  This is Debian!)

And under rxvt, maybe I'm stupid, but I can't seem to pop any
preference menus up like I can in xterm and gnome-terminal.