2002 Apr 04 23:37

Re: [vox-tech] X over lan is nice, but a pain starting up.

Re: [vox-tech] X over lan is nice, but a pain starting up.

I now have a seecion script for gdm which runs:

exec /usr/bin/ssh -CAnq remote /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession IceWM

Which works fine. It also doesn't frighten my mom or brother away with a
command line. ;-)

This setup would make a nifty demo, someone could bring in an old 486/586 and
set it up as a dummy x termnial, hopefuly without a hard drive and show off
it running software over the ethernet at good speeds. Then unplug the cable
and watch everything butthe mouse stop then start up again when it's plugged
back in (just don't let ssh time out in the meantime).

On Thursday 04 April 2002 10:45 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 11:01:49AM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> > Well, I've managed to setup an old pentium box as an x termnial, and I
> > like it very much. Tunneled over a compressed ssh connection, the lag is
> > hardly noticable.
>
>   If you are on a LAN, just disable the compression and things should
> be faster.  If not you might want to try level 1 compression instead
> of 6 which is the default.

It's not really a problem at 6. I will try setting it to 1 in the login
script.

> > I can get a remote window manager by going in to gdm and seleting
> > failsafe xterm then running 'ssh -Cf foo blackbox' but this is annoying.
> > Is there a way to automate this with gdm?
>
>   This is a theory that has not been tested or researched... it's
> possible that you have to do other things in the 'new' gnome world.

>   Edit your .xsession file to specify the series of commands you want
> run when you log in.  If you put some shell script that knows how to
> pop up a graphical prompt for your ssh password you should be able to
> even have a secured private key (without using ssh-agent).

I know it's not the most secure thing in the world, but it's convient and my
private lan is behind a firewall.

I could also just stick the private keys on floppys or cds

If anyone knows how to get ssh-askpass to popup instead of asking for the
pass on a command line, i'd like to hear it.