2002 Apr 04 09:34

Re: [vox-tech] How badly screwed am I?

* msimons@moria.simons-clan.com (msimons@moria.simons-clan.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 05:57:16PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > In the meantime, I rebooted the computer and ran BIOS.  I poked around, but
> > didn't change a darn thing.  Nothing.  Not a single character.  But I went
> > ahead and saved my changes anyway, instead of just "exit without saving
> > changes".
>
>   That is the solution.  Most BIOS's save what they last knew as the
> machine state and complain if anything is different when they boot back up.
> Sometimes when you change out a non-booting hard disk on older BIOSs, or
> add memory, or open a machine with 'intrusion detection' the key to
> getting them to be quiet is just go into the BIOS menu and hit whatever
> you need to to save the settings.  (other times you have to tweek a disk
> type, or toggle a 'I know I opened the case' option...)
>
>   Glad you got it working.

Umm... don't you have a UPS?  A good one gives you clean power, which may be part of
your problem.  Where I live, we get outages from windstorms, and the wiring in this
house was done by someone far more amateur-ish than I.  You should be able to get one
for $200-$300 that will give you an hour or more of dime, and a graceful shutdown when
the battery expires.  It may also save you from a permanently cooked CPU.

Good luck

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.