January 6: Social gathering
2002 Apr 02 17:35

Re: [vox-tech] How badly screwed am I?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> CPU IS UNWORKABLE OR HAS CHANGED -- Please rescan now
>
> (It's a dual-processor system)
>
> I pressed F1 and was able to finish booting just fine.  The computer
> runs both win2k and Linux without any change in performance from before,
> and there is no sign that the computer is slower or not working or
> anything.  What does this mean, and how do I fix it?  I am by no stretch
> of the imagination a hardware guy; I can hook up a printer and install a
> CD-ROM drive and a couple of memory chips if absolutely necessary, but I
> much prefer not to mess with my computer's guts.
>
> Any thoughts?  Prayers?

You should try rebooting again and seeing if the message comes up again.

Also, check /proc/cpuinfo for 2 CPU entries.
I suspect if the kernel doesn't see 2, then there's something seriously
wrong (assuming you have an SMP enabled kernel).

You probably /won't/ notice a change in performance if one of your cpus
dies, unless you do some serious multi-tasking (ie, having a cpu intensive
process in the bg, while running a gui or some such).

As a final resort, pray to the Intel/AMD gods :)

-Gabe