2002 Mar 31 20:26

[vox-tech] Tweaking RAM settings can do weird things

[vox-tech] Tweaking RAM settings can do weird things

This morning I decided to tweak my bios settings, and spoted the SDRAM cycle
field. Wondering if it would make things faster I set it from 3 to 2,
rebooted, and wandered off to get some snacks. I came back to find some weird
errors, so I rebooted again. I got more errors this time, but diffrent ones.
I managed to get a console with the magic SysRq key, and mounted the rest of
my partitons. Many of my commands were borked. A few more reboots resulted in
diffrent errors each time.

Totaly confused, I pulled up a console on my firewall and got on IRC. After
trying a boot disk which gave me I kernel panic, I asked if anyone had any
idea what was wrong. Someone asked what I'd changed since it worked, then it
dawned on me, my RAM must not like the cycle length of 2. So i set it back,
and my system happily booted.

I was wondering, are these symptoms similar to what one experiances with
faulty RAM?