2002 Mar 29 06:19

Re: [vox-tech] Vim is leaving junk on my command line

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:39:19PM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Yep, that did it.  But now my question is:
>
> Where does the TERM variable get set in the first place?  I don't see it in:
> /etc/profile
> ~/.bash_profile
> ~/.bashrc
>
> But its being set to xterm

It is generally exported by ssh or telnet, and the value inherited by the
shell that ssh or telnet starts on the remote end. If you want to do some
.bash_profile trickery to re-set TERM, you can check whether the tty is SSH
by consulting SSH_CLIENT.

One of the GUI ssh clients (NiftyTelnetSSH for Mac, an otherwise excellent
program) has some defects in its terminal emulation, which causes symptom
similar to what you described.

--
Henry House