2002 Mar 29 06:19

[vox-tech] Re: Vim is leaving junk on my command line

[vox-tech] Re: Vim is leaving junk on my command line

I believe the TERM environment variable is set by whatever getty you are
using to connect to your system. When you use an xterm, the xterm program
sets TERM before it ever opens the shell. When you use ssh, sshd sets TERM
before it ever opens the shell. (It also sets DISPLAY this way if you are
using X packet forwarding)