January 6: Social gathering
2002 Mar 25 14:06

Re: [vox-tech] Before I do this...

It is not hard to fill a computer with a load of crap. When a partition is
filled you can not do much with it until you get rid of the crap that has it
filled like core dumps or like a recent problem a program taking up allot of
space. Partitioning a hard drive for proper use is easy and results in more
security. I go a little overboard, but I like it that way. I have /var
separate / separate /usr separate /opt separate (I use SuSE) /home serpate
(making upgrades nice I usually do not loose data when upgrading or even when
trying out a new distro like Mandrake 8.2 (IMHO a real dog). I also keep a
partition /local that I have all of my iso's for the IF in.

Beyond that I have read several times to do it so I do. I have done so since
my second install and have not been unhappy with this decision. I have had an
instance when /var was filled and I could not mount it. So I mounted it
manually and removed a few of the backup files in /var that SuSE put there
and I was off and running again in no time.

Rusty