2002 Mar 24 19:55

Re: [vox-tech] need to debug boot crash

begin eric nelson <en77@pacbell.net>
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > note, a very, very, very, very worthwhile thing is to extend the buffer
> > that your kernel allocates for the scrollback.  it's in the linux FAQ.
> > basically, you need to recompile your kernel and define something like:
> >
> > #define VIDEOCARD_CAN_DO_32_MEGS
>
> I will do this.  The picture thing is a good idea.  I was finally able to get
> a handle on things by putting a call to bash in the first init script.  Now I
> can look at the initialization, by putting the call to bash in different
> places, and finding where it goes wrong.  Thanks. ;~)

sure thing -- one thing that i forgot to mention is that (with a
non-panicked system) you can always boot to single user mode and start
running the startup scripts by hand (you can do this because if the
system ain't panicked, the problem is almost certainly during the
initscripts.  errors before init does its thing are usually pretty
fatal).

although the shift-pageup is much less time consuming.   :-)

pete