2002 Mar 16 13:27

[no subject]

The boring part came then, as I waited for the packages to install over
115200 serial. After that, I had a fully working, Linux installed handheld :)

I didn't like the default install very much, so I went ahead and ditched the
window manager (ios) and installed icewm. I also went thru the graphical
package manager (very excellent) and installed vim and bash (essentials) and
a lot of PIM stuff (lots of options, some taken from agenda IIRC), dillo
and some small utilities.

Everything works really nicely, the anti-aliased fonts look _nice_. And I mean
_nice_ :)

After the near-full install I still have 1.4mb left on the / partition, and
half of the 32mb of ram mounted as a ramfs. As soon as I get the cha$$$nce,
I'll probably get a nice 64/128 CF card to go with it, so I can carry some
tunes around. It'll probably make a nice MP3 player, since you can shut the
screen off completely, although not as nice as the Clie with dedicated DSP.

One of the things that really impressed me is how easily the screen rotates
from landscape to portrait (both directions each), and how the hardware
(screen, audio, apm, launch buttons) worked out of the box.

It also comes with an onscreen keyboard and xstroke, for handwriting. xstroke
seems to understand my grafitti characters, so I'm assuming the default config
is grafitti (there's a .conf in /etc you can change with character mappings).

Suposedly familiar is binary and library compatible with the debian arm
packages, but I still need to try that out.

Overall I have to say this rocks. Being a geek I wouldn't mind having a newer
model with more storage (I think the newer ones have 64mb flash/64mb ram, or
64mb flash/32mb ram, or similar), but 16mb seems to be more than enough for a
good config.

Anyways, off to play with the familiar :)

-Gabe