2002 Mar 15 15:25

Re: [vox-tech] gzip bug?

jeez.  i sort of wished you hadn't posted this; i was happier not
knowing.  lol.  now i'm going to be thinking about my non-optimized
"ready for i386" version of gzip running on my 1.4GHz athlon all day
now.   ;-)

one of these days i'll have to follow the "how to recompile your entire
debian system for i586" tutorial.  :-)

still doesn't explain the zlib thing, although maybe it's linked
statically because any compression scheme, in its heart of hearts is
number cruncher.

is there be any performance penalty for a dynamically linked executable
above and beyond ld.so's import of external objects at load time?

pete

begin Charles Polisher <cpolish@attbi.com>