2002 Mar 15 07:06

Re: [vox-tech] perl db question

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 10:50:10PM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
> I won't go into details, but in summary I'd strongly recommend
> a SQL database for anything much more complicated then a small table
> or two.  I'll list some of the things you should consider if your
> going to do it yourself:

I don't disagree with the wise words from you and Ted about the folly of
rolling one's own data storage system, but Peter's original point, if I recall
correctly, was that he did not want a server-based database (on account of
the administration burden, presumably).

The choice is not just between flat files and a full-blow RDBMS. There are
tools midway in between. Berkely DB version 3 has bindings available for more
languages that you can shake a stick at, and has efficient binary storage and
proper locking for multi-user access. SQLite implements a multi-user database
manipulated in SQL in a library (no server).

On the other hand, I can wholeheartedly recommend PostgreSQL, even though is
is a rather heavyweight server. Pick your worse evil ;-).

--
Henry House