2002 Mar 14 18:52

RE: [vox-tech] gzip bug?

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm using gzip 1.3 and gunzip 1.3 on a
VFS file system. I'm having problems with practically all big files. The
files are corrupted without ever leaving the Linux machine. For
trouble-shooting with WinZip, I transferred some files to Windows using
Samba.

The exact error message reads as:
gunzip: MX.mat.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

Your filter suggestion is great. It works, although, I'm still getting
the error message:
gzip: stdin: invalid compress data--crc error

Thank you,
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org
[mailto:vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Peter Jay Salzman
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 9:59 AM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] gzip bug?

hi kevin,

stream of consciousness:

are you saying ALL files on redhat can't be gunzipped?  or only
particular files?  was this file transfered using windows ftp or http?
perhaps it went through a NL/CR conversion?  faulty kermit transfer?
where was the file created?  under a vfat system or under a VFS (linux)
system?

try to use gzip as a filter:

gzip -d <myfile.gz >myfile

this will unzip as far as gzip can go before reaching the CRC error.
it might recover some of your data.

also, can you post the exact error message (always a good thing to do
when asking for help when something complains!)

can you post gzip's version number and mail me (not the list) a copy of
the file you're trying to unzip?  i'll give it go here.

pete

begin Kevin Dawson <kdawson@ucdavis.edu>
> Hi,
>
> I cannot gunzip my gzipped files on RedHat 7.1. I get CRC error
> messages. On the other hand, when the files are transferred to
Windows,