2002 Mar 14 12:36

Re: [vox-tech] help with signals and C

begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > example:
> >
> > temperature = 1.0
> >
> > trials          Energy per site
> > 1,000          -2.000000
> > 10,000         -1.998448
> > 100,000        -1.997171
> > 1,000,000      -1.997530
> > 10,000,000     -1.997312           <-- very close
> > 100,000,000   -14.163610           <-- very not correct
>
> I have no idea what that means...  At a glance, it looks like a rounding
> error to me...

here's how these numbers are generated

   int trials = some big integer;

   while (i < trials)
   {
      energy per site += some calculation;
   }
   energy per site /= trials*othernumbers

i hope this makes it clear that it can't be a rounding error.  energy
per site accumulates some large value which gets divided by a common
factor at the end of the calculation.

if i really wanted to do 100,000,000 trials, i'd simply divide in the
loop.  it would keep the number down but slow down the program and
introduce more rounding errors.

pete