2002 Mar 13 10:53

Re: [vox-tech] stopping serial console

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 09:20:28PM -0800, eric nelson wrote:
> Anyway, I better get the getty off.  heh-heh ;~)  Does all this mean that
> getty won't work if the console on serial port is not compiled into the
> kernel?

If you have "serial port" enabled under character devices you can use
getty on them, put modems on them, etc.

If you turn on "console on serial port", then you the kernel can use a
serial port like your VGA device.  The bootup messages, etc.  It's useful
for headless (no vga card) machines, so you can see bootup messages before
the getty would come up, but not much else.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/