January 6: Social gathering
2002 Mar 12 18:48

Re: [vox-tech] Software IDE Root RAID on Linux

Re: [vox-tech] Software IDE Root RAID on Linux

I have a root raid 1 box that has been running for two years.

I boot off of a floppy. Wierd thing is that it can't seem to
mount the swap partitions, so I have no swap. I think maybe
it is just a problem with the kernel compile. Check the
Software RAID howto

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raidtools/

Get the file:

raidtools-20010914.tar.gz

The doc is inside there. It's easy.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:52:55AM -0800, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> Has anyone setup a software RAID 0 (or any other level for that matter)
> with IDE drive as a root partion on Linux?
>
> I am looking to do this at work as a file server to put some
> non-critical data on that we already have on CD so it does not need to
> be RAID 1 or 5 and does not need to be backed up.  This is so that we do
> not waste space on our other servers that have more important data.
>
> I have looked through the how-to already and it is dated (pre 2.4
> kernels) and does not mention setting it up as root.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/