2002 Mar 11 17:43

Re: [vox-tech] trouble running recursive grep

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 10:56:29AM -0800, eric nelson wrote:
> Why doesn't this work:
>
> (as root)
> cd /usr/src/linux/include
> grep -r pci_dev *.h

It does not work because shell globbing (using *, [], etc) expands the
argument list to the program BEFORE it is invoked. So, for example, 'ls *',
run in a directory where files .aa, aa, ab, and bb exist, is expanded to 'ls
aa ab bb' by my shell, and ls sees three arguments in ARGV. What about .aa?
The POSIX standard specifies that a bare star does not match a leading dot;
to match that, use '.*'.

--
Henry House