2002 Mar 10 12:47

Re: [vox-tech] netmask question

Netmasks are not for sepcifing ip ranges, they're for specifing network size.

You'll should specify this as  7 255.255.0.0 netmasks.

A netmask should always be x number of one bits, followed by all zeros, hence
the /x shorthand.

as an example, 255.255.255.16 would not be a valid netmask, but
255.255.255.192 would.

On Sunday, March 10 2002 08:51 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>
>
> > On Sunday 10 March 2002 08:17 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > how would someone write a range of IP addresses
> > >
> > > 61.220.0.0 - 61.227.255.255
> > >
> > > in the form of n.n.n.n/m.m.m.m?
> > >
> > > i'm looking more for the "how to do it" than the answer.
> >
> > That's a weird range:
> >
> >   220 = 11011100
> >   227 = 11100011
> >
> > Doesn't tell me what your netmask is, anyway.  :-)
>
> it's an isp in china:
>
> p@satan% whois 61.220.0.0
>
> inetnum:     61.220.0.0 - 61.227.255.255
> netname:     HINET
> descr:       Data Communication Business Group, Chunghwa Telecom Co.,
> descr:       Commerical ISP
> descr:       21, Section 1, Hsin-Yi Road, Taipei,
> descr:       Taipei 100, Taiwan, R.O.C.
>
> so there's no way to describe this network in a hosts.deny file other
> than something like
>
> ALL: 61.220.
> ALL: 61.221.
> ALL: 61.226.