2002 Mar 11 22:45

Re: [vox-tech] perl db question

begin Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com>
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:33:27AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i've never used a real database in my life.   first attempt:
>
> > btw, i looked for henry's notes from his lugod talk on perl db; they
> > don't seem to be on the website.  :(
>
> It may be found at <http://hajhouse.org/linux/dbi.dvi>. But my talk discusses
> the Perl DBI (for Postgresql and other server-based SQL-interpreting
> databases), while you appear to be using the Berkeley DB, which, alas, I have
> not. If you are not set on Berkeley DB and can settle for slower performance,
> you might consider DBD::CSV (Debian: libdbd-csv-perl), which emulates an SQL
> database in a human-readable flat file.

i have to admit, having a human readable flat file is kind of sexy.

my application is to store dates that certain work is done on a vehicle.
like a list of all dates/odometer readings of oil changes, brake pad
inspections, battery electrolyte checks, coolant flushes and stuff
like that.

i don't think this can compare with what commerce sites use databases
for, but after the years roll by, i'm sure the databases can reach a
respectable size.  conceivably, someone could keep records on the same
vehicle for a decade.

what do you think?  i'd rather stay away from a server based DB system.
would DBD::CSV be ok for this sort of thing?

btw, anyone else here do their own work on their car/motorcycle?

pete