2002 Mar 01 15:08

Re: [vox-tech] ip_masq-quake.o

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 12:34:08PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> what exactly does this module do?
>
> other than opening up the quake ports and forwarding them to the proper
> internal LAN machine, what do you need a kernel module for in order to
> serve quake games?

I don't think this is intended to help with serving. It seems to handle
the forwarding of Quake packets to clients behind a masq box, so that when
a client behind the masq box connects to a server, UDP packets from the
server are sent back to the client.

Kernel 2.4 seems to do this automagically. I've never loaded any
Quake-specific kernel modules on my 2.4-based masq box, and I've never had
any problems with Quake (Q3|Quakeworld) playing.

--
Samuel Merritt
PGP key is at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~merritt/snmerritt.asc