2002 Feb 24 01:21

Re: [vox-tech] pppoe suddenly quit

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Ed Glass wrote:

> I'm using PPPoE by Roaring Penguin.
>
> Everything was working fine... then it just quit.
> It connects just fine: "adsl-start"... gives the "connected!" confirmation
> I've got my DNS nameservers set properly in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> I can ping the nameservers and traceroute to them just fine.
>
> I CANNOT ping anything else with a name...
> i.e. ping step.mother.com or ping www.yahoo.com
> both return unknown host errors.
>
> Any clues would be appreciated.

The fact that you can ping the nameservers by ip number suggests that you
are having trouble with dns.  Thus, pppoe is not the problem.

The fact that you can post this message suggests that more information
would be needed to troubleshoot further.  Things like "netstat -rn" and
traceroutes to a few near and far ip numbers, and an explanation of how
you posted this message (same machine or different machine, ppp dialup?)
could help.

It could be as simple as a temporary problam upstream from your ISP, also.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing