2002 Feb 16 14:30

Re: [vox-tech] usb woes

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> >    of course, it's _possible_ that the cable is bad, but i seriously
> >    doubt it.  i'm trying to set the visor up on rhonda's windows machine
> >    right now, but i'm nearly certain it will work.
>
> Note that the driver said it had detected two ports in your hub. If you
> have ports in both the front and back of your computer, try using only the
> front ports or only the back ports.  That is, unplug all cables but the
> one you are working with if possible.

i *suspect* the problem may have been usb code interacting with smp
code.  tried it on lucifer and usb seems to be functional.   wild claim
and i don't have much evidence to back it up other than it "worked" on a
UP machine, and i read that USB needs special attention on SMP machines.

i still can't sync the visor though.  coldsync segfaulted.  recompiled
it with -g, did a backtrace, found a null pointer dereference and sent a
bug report to the developers.

i need to take a break from this.  i've been at it since noon.  i'll try
again using pilot-link and other software.  but at LEAST i can now make
FIRST CONTACT with the visor over usb.  now all i need to do is coax the
vulcans to come out of their ship.

btw, i found the problem with the /proc/bus/usb entries, or lack
thereof.   i needed to set

CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS is not set

and then mount the device filesystem in fstab:

none       /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs default                    0 0

i did all this on lucifer, my UP machine.  i'll try recompiling the
kernel and mounting the devfs on satan and try again to see if i get
that wierd "bad cable" message.  it might clear things up.

btw, has anyone gotten 2.5.2, 2.5.3, 2.5.4 to compile?  i'm getting
really stupid compiler warnings like "int format, long int arg" that
finally bomb out.   kernel cousin warns that not many people have been
able to compile 2.5.4, but the the previous 2 don't seem to want to
compile for me either[1].

btw, the visor prism is selling for 220 at fry's.   it's pretty darn
awesome.  i can't wait to get this thing working under linux!

pete

[1]: not the linking problem.  i learned how to fix that.  if anyone is
interested, edit arch/i386/vmlinux.lds and comment out the line that
says *(.text.ext) from the DISCARD section.  fixed the linker error for
me.

--
Enron..safe legal abortion..civil liberty..repealing ICBM treaty..deficit..
What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing an entire country?