2002 Feb 14 11:33

[vox-tech] SIG11 Problems and hardware suggestions

[vox-tech] SIG11 Problems and hardware suggestions

Hey all:

I am just tearing out my hair over SIG11 (seg fault) problems with a one of my
linux boxes.  After stumbling around in some FAQ's, and some postings in
various newsgroups, I have discovered that these problems have more to do with
the hardware than the os or software (caching, memory, speed settings, etc).  I
have discovered that not only are these problems _extremely_ annoying, but
rather tough (for me) to solve, due to the sheer number of causes.

Can anyone recommend the following hardware combos that DO NOT have sig 11
problems (i am searching for a new box)?  I have heard that the MOBO and memory
are usually the culprits, although there are some accounts of hard disks
screwing the proverbial pooch.

I would love to hear accounts of "this MOBO/CPU running with <<brand name>>
memory would NEVER SIG11".

I have heard that ASUS boards with Athlon's are pretty good.  How about memory?
 DDR vs PC100/133?  Are any brands more or less reliable than others?

Currently, my problem box is a AMD K6-2 with a 256 MB of memory (PC100, one
stick of Viking, and one stick of kingston), a TYAN MOBO, and a Maxtor HD.  I
suspect it's the memory, but I haven't nailed it down yet.

--TIA

jan