2002 Feb 12 08:08

[vox-tech] packet sniffer help

hi all,

amazingly, i've never used a packet sniffer before.

for the past few days (weeks?  i've really been too busy to play much
recently) i haven't been able to get a list of quake 3 servers from the
internet.  quake 3 keeps reporting "no response from master server".
using tcpdump, i've determed that "master server" is
master.quake3arena.com.  i can't ping this server, but that's because
idsoftware has disabled all icmp to their domain (they had trouble with
DoS attacks).

i'd like to take a look at what my client is sending the master server.

can someone suggest a packet sniffer?  i'm looking more for ease of use
than exotic functionality.   i'd appreciate input from anyone who has an
opinion on a good sniffer.  (note: i don't use/know the advanced net
logging stuff from 2.4 kernels.  until summer rolls around, i don't want
to learn it either).

btw, any other quake3 users having trouble contacting id software's
master quake3 server?

pete