2002 Feb 11 11:54

Re: [vox-tech] Problems with a motherboard.

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> What devices are plugged into the slots?  Have you removed all
> nonessential cards? What is the boot device sequence in the BIOS? Have
> you checked the hard disk and floppy cables to be sure they are connected
> well? Can you be more precise about the message on the screen when (or
> just before) it freezes?

Good advice, Jeff.  I'd second the motion to strip out everything and try
running it bare-bone and see if that works, then try adding one device at
a time.  Even some essential stuff could be tested one-at-a-time (ie - HD,
RAM, processor, mobo, keyboard, mouse, etc.)

Also, check the BIOS settings -- messing up the BIOS settings could lead
to problems.  Write down all the settings, and try using the factory
default settings.

Doing some odd things like turning off the caches could be worth a try.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/