2002 Feb 10 15:53

Re: [vox-tech] Problems with a motherboard.

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Stephen M. Helms wrote:

> OK,  I will admit defeat here.  I am try to fix a computer for my wife's
> coworker (its actually for her kids).  She said that the floppy was not
> working, so I focused on that and the floppy is working great.  The
> problem I am getting is the computer freezes up on boot generally after
> it shows the plug and play specs to the screen.
>
> At first I thought it was the memory so I went out a bought a new memory
> module for it (128MB) and I still get the same problem.  I also tried
> three seperate 32MB modules I already had and get the same problem.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

What devices are plugged into the slots?  Have you removed all
nonessential cards? What is the boot device sequence in the BIOS? Have
you checked the hard disk and floppy cables to be sure they are connected
well? Can you be more precise about the message on the screen when (or
just before) it freezes?

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing