2002 Feb 06 14:06

Re: [vox-tech] x-windows problem?

If you use LILO in text mode (you see "LILO: " prompt), type "linux 1" to
boot into text mode.  If you use LILO in graphics mode, you press some key
combo to go to the text mode (ctrl-X, or just X, I think).  This will boot
Linux in text mode, where you can fix the problem from the command prompt.

As for how to fix the X problem, it depends on what the problem is.  Go to
a prompt as a regular user, and type "startx >& out".  This creates a file
called "out" with debugging info.  See what that file says.

-Mark

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 kaiharris@ucdavis.edu wrote:

> Help!!!
> I'm having problems logging into my computer.  I shut it down to install
> more RAM and then rebooted.  Comp boots all the way to the text login, but
> I dont have a chance to loging here because it is set to log straight into
> x-windows first and then give a graphical login window. when it tries to
> boot into x-windows, nothing shows up on the monitor.  The monitor seems
> as though it is turning on and off...or trying to switch resolutions.
> When I ctrl-alt-del to restart, the boot-down procedure couldn't shutdown
> the x-font system.  the error message read:
> shutting down x-font system       [failed]
> so, I shutdown and took out the RAM I had just installed and booted back
> up.  The same thing happened again.
> Apart from the obvious issue of how can I boot back into KDE, I'm not sure
> how to stop the boot procedure from trying to load x-windows on startup.
> Then at least i could log onto the computer.
> I know this probably sounds very vague, but I dont know what more
> information I can give.  does anybody have any idea what might be going
> on?  I would prefer not to have to reinstall!
> thanks
> Kai

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/