2002 Feb 04 05:09

Re: [vox-tech] reading files into a web page

Re: [vox-tech] reading files into a web page

Pros and cons summary:

   SSI:
      Pros:
         - Faster than other options (probably)
      Cons:
         - Not as full-featured as other options
         - Virtual vs. physical path names give you headaches

   PHP:
      Pros:
         - Full-featured
         - Easy to learn for C users
         - Full HTML integration

   CGI w/ PERL:
      Pros:
         - Full-featured
         - A load of add-on libraries
      Cons:
         - Entire webpage has to be generated as code (not ML)
         - CGI-wrapping, dedicated CGI paths, and all the rest give you
           headaches and server-setup-dependencies

Go with PHP...  I learned it in one sitting.  Get "PHP Pocket Reference"
($10) from O'Reilly; the first 30 pages or so tell you everything, mostly
about how it's similar to C, then the rest is a function reference.

-Mark

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> > On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, nbs wrote:
> >
> > > Or simpler yet:
> > >
> > >   <?php include("file"); ?>
> >
> > "include" does PHP translation, which Peter may not want.  It's especially
> > fatal if you're including a user-posted data.  "fpassthru" is safer from
> > security point of view.
>
> what's php translation?   like expansion of "variables" in case the file
> has something that may look like a php variable?
>
> btw, i started reading about php today.  i have to say, it's a very nice
> language.  it reminds me alot of C...
>
> pete

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/